Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's your life, dress for it

What kind of life do you really want for yourself? I don't know mean just things like- oh where do you see yourself in 5 years? Or what do you want to be when you grow up? But what kind of life do you really want yourself to live in order for you to be happiest? Are you confident? Powerful? Successful? Comfortable with yourself and others around you?

I really like this idea of living the exact kind of life that I want to live. I want to live a life where I feel good about myself and feel confident. And I want to feel powerful- meaning having the power to do whatever I want to do and to do it well. This may not seem to have much to do with fashion- but trust me, it does. Confidence is something that is oh so important. No, I do not have a perfect self image and 100% confidence, but let's all take this journey together towards feeling better about ourselves. I want to remind you of the reason why I started this blog. I want people to realize the connection between feeling good and looking good. When you look good and more importantly, know that you look good, you feel so much better about yourself. Why? Because of one thing- confidence. Dressing well leads to more confidence. You look good and therefore have the confidence to talk and create relationships with the people around you.

So how can we live a life of confidence? How can we encourage ourselves to do the things that we have always wanted to do and just never had the strength or self assurance? I would like to submit that dressing for such a life is a great step in the right direction. You all remember Britney Spears, right? You know- that girl who was incredibly successful and then had a mental breakdown? Well she's making a comeback. She already has a hit- "Hold it Against Me" on the radio and itunes right now. Whether you like that song or not is not the point. The point is that she seems to finally be coming back and living a life of confidence and love for herself after such a low point. This is what she looked like during her low point:

Notice how incredibly sloppy she is. Her hair is messy, she probably doesn't have any make-up on, and (the worst offender) is wearing sweatpants. In public! Does she look like she is living the kind of life that she wanted to be living during that time? Her appearance on the outside is screaming how she was feeling on the inside. Or at least one can assume. She was dressing for the type of life that she was living. Which relates to my title. Dress for the kind of life that you want to have. If you want a successful career, then dress for the job that you want to have! If you want a life that is just simply full of happiness, then dress in a way that shows you are happy and glowing with confidence. This is what Ms. Spears has done in this next picture:

Do you notice the difference? She looks a million times better- and her current success shows it. She has found the strength to make a come back, which requires confidence. She is dressing for the kind of life that she wants. She cares about herself enough to dress in a way that shows it. Her hair looks groomed and her outfit looks clean and great. And she's not wearing sweatpants! I'm sure she still has a fair amount of problems, and hey, who doesn't? But doing something simple like dressing in things that are clean and fit you well leads to a better chance at living the kind of life that you want to live- a more confident one. Clothes make you! So instead of hating it, embrace it! You'll definitely notice a difference if you just try and dress in a way that says "I am a confident beautiful person" for at least a week. Go ahead- give it a try. And go ahead and share your experiences on the blog! I would love to hear from you.


1 comment:

  1. I have a hypothesis that if I wear attractive flannel shirts I'll find my artsy lumberjack.

    ReplyDelete